drying glycine gels

Jim D. jdeleha at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
Sat Jan 22 08:52:00 EST 2000

I had a similar problem with gels cracking on our BioRad gel dryer and
adding glycerol after destaining and fixing couldn't alleviate the problem
completely as some gels still cracked (probably because our house vacuum is
not strong enough).

I came across a kit from Novex (division of Invitrogen) called the Gel-Ease
gel drying system which dries the gel between two pieces of cellophane
overnight at room temp in an EtOH-based drying solution. The end product is
a nice laminated gel that is absolutely beautiful.  I just used it for the
first time and the results are incredible.

I hate to endorse kits but gels are a big time investiment and it breaks my
heart after all that work only to have them crack.  I would recommend this
method of drying to anyone.

Hope this helps,
Jim