NEED PROTOCOL OF MINIPREP - URGENT

C Coward cc122 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 24 12:53:11 EST 2000

arumanis at yahoo.com (navita astuti) writes:

<snicker snack>

>My teacher suggest me to find any procedure of
>detecting DNA insert without digestion with
>restriction enzyme. Is there any protocol for this
>purpose?? Please send me e-mail to:
>navita15 at bi.itb.ac.id

Very quick (and dirty method) - is fine if you're insert is big enough to
resolve from the plasmid without insert on an agarose gel:

1.Grow transformants overnight as normal
2.Pick colony and streak a single line across a fresh (selective) plate
(I used to do 10-15 lines on a plate). Grow overnight
3.Scrape the whole line up, suspend in 40 ul STE (NaCl plus TE, can't
remember the concentrations, but it probably doesn't make too much of a
difference. Recipe should be in mol. bio. methods books anyway)
4.Add 40 ul phenol:chloroform, vortex 30s, microfuge 5 min
5.Load supernatant on agarose gel (use about 10ul or thereabouts). Using
supernatant to loading dye in 396(?) well plates to save using loads of
eppendorf tubes.

For me this worked for high-copy plasmids in E. coli (I was using pUC).
You get a lot of pluming out of the agrose gel well due to residual phenol
but DNA was still visible. I screened many clones during deletion series
construction by this method and could reasonably readily resolve 500bp.

Chris

Dr. Chris Coward                       | Tel: +44 1223 333545
University of Cambridge                | Fax: +44 1223 766145
Department of Pathology                | E-mail: cc122 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tennis Court Road, Cambridge.          |
CB2 1QP                                |
England                                |