X-Gal solubility

Jim Kami jakami at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jan 25 15:35:26 EST 2000

    For some 15 years now I've been dissolving X-Gal in Dimethyl
Formamide (DMF) as recommended in most cloning manuals. However, I
recently noticed on a MSDS that X-Gal has an appreciable water
solubility (0.1 - 1.0 gram/ml ). So I was wondering if anyone knew of a
specific reason a solvent like DMF is used instead of a less toxic
solvent like water or ethanol or is this just a historical accident like
salmon sperm DNA ?

Jim Kami
Dept of Agronomy
University of California @ Davis