annealing oligos

jen_the_glick at my-deja.com jen_the_glick at my-deja.com
Wed Jan 26 16:01:14 EST 2000

Hi.   Have two 40 bp, complimentary oligos that I am annealing to one
another.  They have restriction sites on the ends, so after annealing I
am cutting with the enzymes, heat-inactivating the enzymes at 65 C for 20
minutes and then ligating.  I am heat-inactivating the enzymes because
resolving them on a gel and gel purifying them seems awfully difficult
for DNA this small.

The annealing protocol I am using is mixing them in equimolar amounts in
the presence of a little bit of salt, heating to 90 C in a PCR machine,
then cooling at a rate of 1 degree/min.

So when I heat-inactivate my restriction enzymes, should I be cooling
very slowly, as I did before?  Otherwise, might I be undoing the good I
did in the initial annealing reaction?

Thanks!

Jen

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/