drying glycine gels

Chris H Lindley chris at scotgate2.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 17:35:34 EST 2000

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 07:52:00 -0600, jdeleha at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu wrote:
>I had a similar problem with gels cracking on our BioRad gel dryer and
>adding glycerol after destaining and fixing couldn't alleviate the problem
>completely as some gels still cracked (probably because our house vacuum is
>not strong enough).
>
>I came across a kit from Novex (division of Invitrogen) called the Gel-Ease
>gel drying system which dries the gel between two pieces of cellophane
>overnight at room temp in an EtOH-based drying solution. The end product is
>a nice laminated gel that is absolutely beautiful.  I just used it for the
>first time and the results are incredible.

I've used a similar system, and it's nice. But remember 35S's signal will be
ever so weak after coming through this!
(If you're doing autorads that is!)

>I hate to endorse kits but gels are a big time investiment and it breaks my
>heart after all that work only to have them crack.  I would recommend this
>method of drying to anyone.

Too true!!

I use thin gels(0.8mm I think) and they hardly ever crack. This is
straight after running them, without staining.

--
ATGCTGCTAGTCGTAGCATGCTGCTTGATCGATGCGGTACGTGATGATCGTAGCTAGCTGGGCTAGTGG
¦  Chris H. Lindley                                  Yorkshire, UK  ¦