Sf9 Vs. Sf21 Cells for baculovirus

Matt Thomas mthomas at hsc.usf.edu
Fri Jan 28 09:58:14 EST 2000

We've decided to get some new Sf9 cells for various reasons and when I went
to order them, I noticed invitrogen has some new strain called Sf21.  Their
catalogue says that some proteins express better in sf21 cells.  I was
wondering if anyone has any experience with these cells and if they really
work better for expression than Sf9.  I've never been impressed with the
ammounts of protein we get with Sf9 so I'm interested in improving our
yeilds by switching strains.

Also, how are these cells (sf21) for amplifing stocks of virus?

Thanks
Matt Thomas

Matthew Thomas, Ph. D
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center, University of South Florida
mthomas at hsc.usf.edu

"I refrain from publishing for fear that disputes and
controversies may be raised against me by ignoramuses."
   Sir Isaac Newton, correspondence to Liebniz