Large scale protein production from stably transfected cells ?

Svend Kjaer svend at
Sat Jan 29 12:01:00 EST 2000

Dear all,

I have some stably transfected HEK cells, which secrete my favorite
protein which is the extracellular part of a receptor. I want to produce
"pseudo-industrial" amounts of my protein and I was wondering how to
optimise production/secretion.
Is it best to grow the cells to a certain density and then apply
serum-free medium for a given amount of time and harvest it, or is a
continuous exchange of conditioned medium from confluent cells to prefer

Any inputs appreciated,

Svend Kjær, Ph.D.
Division of Molecular Neurobiology,
Department of Neuroscience