using cheap digital camera to photograph gels

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 05:10:43 EST 2000

In article <871pgo$rkr$1 at agate.berkeley.edu>, Louis Hom
<lhom at OCF.Berkeley.EDU> writes
>In article <YJ04HtAaFGl4EACS at genesys.demon.co.uk>,
>Dr. Duncan Clark <Duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>2.      Cheap ccd camera and lens (~ UKP400) outputted to monitor and
>>digital printer (this is much more sensitive than option (1) but also
>>way behind option (3).
>
>       Do you have an idea of the sensitivity for this group of
>cameras?  The reason I ask is that I've seen a lot of very inexpensive
>(about US$50) but very sensitive (0.1 lux) black and white ccd cameras
>(about 500x500 pixels, so not great resolution either) in some electronics
>catalogs.

I'm not sure offhand what the sensitivity of the camera we are using is,
a Watec Model A39,244 from Edmund Scientific, Barrington NJ. The camera,
lens and printer is as per Biotechniques, vol 14, no. 6 pp 902-904. The
professional monitor we use cost me UKP10 at a ham radio show. We can
also capture the output onto computer via an appropriate capture card
although I must admit ours is ancient and will not allow integration
etc. which I think would substantially increase sensitivity.

However you want as many pixels as possible. 500x500 will not really be
enough. Aim for 800x600.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark