Microsatellite artifact

Rick Johns t80maj1 at wpo.cso.niu.edu
Mon Jan 31 16:06:34 EST 2000

I have been running microsatelites (SSRs) on maize and other species for a
couple of years.  Recently a strange artifact has started to appear.  In
heterozygous lines, instead of getting two bands I get four bands, all
relatively close together.  These bands don't appear to be stutter:  they
are about 5 bp apart, larger than the expected bands, and not regularly
spaced.  This is a dinucleotide SSR, by the way.  These bands have appeared
with several different primers, and in DNA samples that didn't previously
show them.  Because they are quite intense and close in size to the expected
bands, I don't think they are due to priming at another locus; in fact they
don't seem to be heritable..  Anyone have any ideas on the cause or cure for
this problem?  TIA..
--Rick Johns, Northern Illinois Univ.  DeKalb  IL  60115