alternatives to ethidium bromide

lamphier at lamphier at
Mon Jul 3 15:26:51 EST 2000

In article <slrn8lutmq.a4n.vjp2 at>,
  vjp2 at vjp2 at vjp2 at wrote:
> 	  One of my clients who felt  the clock ticking on his career
> to skip  most EtBr safety precautions. When  I freaked out, he  said
that the
> skin  is  mostly  dead  tissue  and  short-term  contact  with  EtBr
was  an
> over-exaggerated risk. That  was five years ago, and  despite my
doubts about
> his ..actions,  he hasn't developed  anything. Please don't follow
his lead,
> but perhaps someone might wish to discuss his comments.

Sure, and there is no direct evidence that ethbr is dangerous in humans.
On the other hand, finding out for sure might take a few decades and why
be a guinea pig in the meantime? Also, ethbr penetrates skin. And my
real concern is not skin contact as much as inadverant ingestion e.g.
transfer to the rim of a coffee cup, etc.

Sent via
Before you buy.