alternatives to ethidium bromide

Bruno Cenni cenni at cellbio.unige.ch
Tue Jul 4 01:35:56 EST 2000

...Not say that one eat & drink EtBr, but there is an established method in
"apoptosiology" (eg. published in Methods Cell Biol 46, 1995, 153-185) that makes
use of the fact that only dead cells have membranes that are leaky for charged
molecules like EtBr (or the well known Propidium Iodide used for FACS
staining)...

But since similar compounds were used in the therapy of infectious diseases in
the old days, some limited toxicological data should be available.

Bruno