Gene construction advice needed

Joseph C. Bagshaw jbagshaw at wpi.edu
Sat Jul 8 06:59:20 EST 2000

I'm looking for advice on a gene construction project.  I'm trying to
assemble a 219 bp gene from oligonucleotides.  I designed the oligos so
that each overlaps the next by ten complementary bases.  The plan then is
to fill the gaps, then ligate.  I can get perfect results with any two
adjacent oligos, but when I try to assemble the whole, instead of a 219 bp
band I get a smear.  Any advice or direction to any source of information
would be greatly appreciated.  I have not found any reference or "how
to" source, like "Idiot's Guide to Gene Construction".  Please mail to the
address below or post here.

Joe Bagshaw, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
jbagshaw at wpi.edu
Roadkill on the information superhighway.