alternatives to ethidium bromide

Vasos Panagiotopoulos +1-917-287-8087 Bioengineer-Financier vjp2 at dorsai.org
Thu Jul 13 11:28:42 EST 2000

>From vjp2 at dorsai.org, on 2 Jul 2000 17:07:37 GMT we perused:
*+-
*+-	  One of my clients who felt  the clock ticking on his career decided
*+-to skip  most EtBr safety precautions. When  I freaked out, he  said that the
*+-skin  is  mostly  dead  tissue  and  short-term  contact  with  EtBr  was  an

	 Same chap sent me this reply:

I've using GelStar (BioWhittaker) and also SYBR gold (Molecular Probes.
Both have greatly reduced toxicity over ethidium bromide.  The Mol.Probes
hand book has a histogram of hard data.  Both work well but the SYBR gold is
cheaper ($68 vs $108 for Gelstar) both come as 10,000x in DMSO.  You need to
put 0.7-1.0 ul/10ml of gel and also 0.07-0.1 ul into each sample prior to
has the advantage that dsDNA comes up green-white while ssDNA comes up more
brownish