Coumarin excitation range?

D. Pearton pearton at
Mon Jul 17 18:15:01 EST 2000

Hi all,

I'd like to do a microplate assay using a peptide aminomethyl-coumarin
substrate (-AMC).  I can get filters to pick up the emmission wavelength
(460nm) but the closest excitation for our (proposed) system I can find is
365nm (AMC's optimum excitation is 380nm).  Does anyone have an idea of
the excitation-absorbtion profile of AMC and whether 365nm would be good
enough to give a strong enough signal?  I.e. how efficient would using a
365nm source be?

Dave Pearton

ps: answers preferred via email.

Dave Pearton
pearton at
      "Its habit of getting up late you'll agree
         That it carries too far, when I say
       That it frequently breakfasts at five-o'clock tea,
         And dines on the following day.

The Hunting of the Snark, Lewis Carroll