still waiting for suggestions please....

Supan ssupan at po-box.mcgill.ca
Fri Jul 21 16:42:49 EST 2000

Hi! Everybody:

I am new to this newsgroup. I am interested to know about buffers used to isolate total proteins
from leaves of plant (i work with soybean and maize plants)? I am interested to measure the
activity of following enzymes using the total protein (crude), i.e. Phenyl ammonia lyas, catalase,
chitinase, glucanase, peroxidase. Anybody know a single extraction buffer to isolate total protein
and check the enzyme activity. Furthermore, could someone please let me know whether it is
feasable or not if i collect the leaves and gound them in liquid nitrogen and then free the powder
at -80 C and then take the powder and dissolved in different buffer for differ enzymes? Do i need
to freez dry the powder after crushing the leaves in liquid nitrogen or its ok if i just keep it at
-80? If i use 80% ammonium sulfate, will i lose protein too? Any suggestion regarding total
protein isolation will be greatly appreciated. Kindly send your suggustions to me at
mkhan8 at po-box.mcgill.ca

Thanks,
Wajahat Khan
Plant Science Dept.,