Unknow Band from PCR product

Arnoud van Vliet avvliet at knoware.nl
Sun Jul 23 06:21:48 EST 2000

"biobiobio_2000" <biobiobio_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8lcs53$qlk$1 at justice.csc.cuhk.edu.hk...
> Hi all,
>
> I have run my PCR products on a 1% agarose gel with TAE buffer.  However,
> found a strong band migrating towards the negative electrode after EBr
stain
> the gel.  I still saw my product at the positive end that is apparently
very
> normal.  Please suggest the likely possibilities account for the band that
> is close to the well but at the negative electrode end!

Biobiobio,

what strange names parents give their children these days :)

Did you use genomic DNA as template? Then how much did you use? I have seen
this phenomenon often with people who put in massive amounts of template
DNA. Genomic DNA is high molecular weight, and will only migrate a little
bit into the gel.

Hope this helps
Arnoud