Quantitating northerns/phosphoimager

Robert A. Schoenfeld raschoenfeld at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 24 19:16:37 EST 2000

Hi -
I have a question about quantitating northerns on a phosphoimager.
I've been blotting total RNA, probing w/a 32P labeled transcript and
scanning into a phosphoimager.  After quantitating, I find myself
wondering about some of the numbers that the software spit out.

Should I expect the signal I get from 5 ug of total RNA to be half
the signal I'd get from 10 ug?  Empirically, I'm not seeing this and
have been wondering why, or, like any other scientist, "what did I do
wrong?"

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Robert A. Schoenfeld, Ph.D.