Separation of specific DNA fragment

Michael Benedik benedik at uh.edu
Wed Jul 26 10:45:44 EST 2000

Do any of you bright and witty people in cyberland have good ideas
about how to do this.

What I wish to do is to look at the repertoire of mutations in a
specific gene in a population of cells. So ideally I would like to
isolate the same DNA fragment from each cell and sequence it.

Obviously PCR on the population of cells won't work, because that won't
represent the diversity. I could do single cell PCR, but I am not sure
how well that really works. I could make a library from the population
and screen for a number of clones with the same fragment (without
amplifying the library) but that is probably too much work (large
genome). Are there any ways of digesting the DNA from a population of
cells and  separating out one specific fragment which I could then
clone? Or something similar.

Thanks for any input.

Michael Benedik
Department of Biochemical Sciences