should we switch to E. coli gene arrays?

"David Alexander dalex at nexus.microimm.mcgill.ca
Thu Jul 27 09:18:17 EST 2000

Hello all,

After decades of screening gene fusion libraries,
our lab is considering the switch to gene arrays.

Does anyone have practical experience with the
Panorama E. coli Gene Array (from Sigma/Genosys)
or any other E. coli array?

Is it worth the cost? (we're using little Canadian dollars)
Are the results reproducible/reliable?

One major concern is stripping/reusing the array membrane.
Supposedly it can be used 4 times
(enough for 2 controls and 2 experimental conditions)
How clean is data from the 4th round?
Alternatively, are there methods to extend use of the arrays
to five or six rounds?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

David.