Separation of specific DNA fragment

GradStudent ThisIsNot at MyEmail.com
Fri Jul 28 01:44:59 EST 2000

Look up "PNA-clamping during PCR".  PNAs are DNA oligo 'mimics' that
hybridize sequence-specifically to DNA (ds or ss) with greater rate
and affinity than single-stranded oligonucleotide, and are more
sensitive to base mismatches than single stranded DNA oligos.

A PNA-clamp will bind just downstream to your primer preventing
amplification of the DNA......

....unless the the PNA-clamp is not specific for that short sequence
(SNP).  That is, if there is a single base mismatch, the PNA clamp
will NOT bind and amplification of the DNA frag occurs.  These
amplified DNA frags, representing single-nucleotide polymorphisms in a
population, can be cloned and sequenced individually.