Accessing bionet archives at wuarchive - bozo question!

W R Bennett bsswrb at
Fri Jul 28 07:31:45 EST 2000

I'm trying to read some old posts from this newsgroup stored at:

These are stored as what appears to be compressed, dated individual posts
e.g.  "971101.06.Z"

The snag is that I cannot for the life of me uncompress the damn things so
I can read them.  Netscape displays gibberish when I simply click on the
link, Unix `uncompress' and `gzip' fail to recognise the downloaded file
as properly compressed "z" or "Z" format.  Could someone help me out,

Bill Bennett