plasmid repair

Dr. Peter Gegenheimer PGegen at UKans.nolospamare.edu
Fri Jun 2 21:44:25 EST 2000

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 15:58:16, p.dalby at ucl.ac.uk (Paul A Dalby) wrote:
<snip>
ð >...Or is it the
ð >case that the mutation frequency was very very low but you still managed
ð >to find the mutant by probing.
ð Are you talking about the old Amersham kit here, with the thioester dATP
ð derivative?

Um, by way of humor rather than codgerly carping, 20 years ago there were no
kits. Any methods involving modified dNTPs, etc, are "newfangled." However,
since Fritz Eckstein qualifies as an old-timer, and his phosphorothioate-based
modification was one of the earliest ones, I suppose a kit based on that
approach could be called "old."

| Dr. Peter Gegenheimer       | Vox: 785-864-3939  FAX: 785-864-5321   |
| Department of               |   PGegen at UKans.nospam.edu              |
|   Molecular Biosciences     |   http://rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu/       |
| University of Kansas        |"When you have excluded the impossible, |
| 2045 Haworth Hall           |  whatever remains, however improbable, |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106    |  must be the truth."      S. Holmes    |