double stranded RNA...how to look for it?

Dr. Peter Gegenheimer PGegen at UKans.nolospamare.edu
Fri Jun 2 22:48:07 EST 2000

On Mon, 29 May 2000 11:41:04, Juergen Oberstrass <oberstra at hrz.uni-kassel.de>
wrote:

ð > could anyone of you help me with hints how to work with dsRNA without
ð > having sequence data? Can it be isolated ? Manipulated?

Isolation is the easiest thing in the world, but getting large amounts is one
of the hardest. There is a lot of older literature on *viroid RNA replication
intermediates* which will get you started. Also, there are naturally-occurring
dsRNAs in many fungi. (When you do a leterature search for d-s RNA, exclude
anti-sense, etc.) The main properties are (1) resistance to nuclease
digestion; (2) I think ds can be separated from ss on cellulose columns in 20%
EtOH. (a "Franklin" column.)

| Dr. Peter Gegenheimer       | Vox: 785-864-3939  FAX: 785-864-5321   |
| Department of               |   PGegen at UKans.nospam.edu              |
|   Molecular Biosciences     |   http://rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu/       |
| University of Kansas        |"When you have excluded the impossible, |
| 2045 Haworth Hall           |  whatever remains, however improbable, |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106    |  must be the truth."      S. Holmes    |