DNA extraction from very tough microorganism

Chris LaRosa clarosa at biocomp.unl.edu
Mon Jun 5 13:13:16 EST 2000

Damien Marsic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been unsuccessful in trying to extract genomic DNA from an unknown
> hyperthermophilic sulfur-reducing microorganism (may be archaea or
> eubacteria).

Do you have a french press? this should do it.

If you dont have a french press... I would suggest the following..Why ?
Because when I looking for an alternative to french press to break S.
typhamurium, this worked.:   you need a probe type sonicator , where the
probe fits into a 1.5 ml Eppendorf tube.  You need to grind dispsosible
glass tubes with a mortar and pestile..Not too fine... and 200 ul worth
of glass. the glass with the sonicator tears open bacterial
cells....much better than sonicator alone.

Chris LaRosa