Bacterial RNA isolation

Robert Hartley rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Fri Jun 9 06:52:08 EST 2000

In article <8hqigq$8dk_001 at leeds.ac.uk>, MICMDF at leeds.ac.uk (M.D. Farrar) wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Does anyone have a protocol for the efficient extraction of total RNA from
> Staphylococci (or other Gram-positive bacteria)? Our problems are mainly
> associated with insufficient cell lysis and RNA degradation during the
> extraction procedure.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You may want to invest in a Ribolyser from Hybaid of Bio101. (the same machine)
They are about 2,000 ukp but apparently they work brilliantly.

As a first step you could buy the tubes from hybaid and use a mini
vortexer. cost about 100ukp.

I don't have any experience with prok's but it is worth a try.

Regards
Bob