DNA concentration measurement

Frank O. Fackelmayer Frank.Fackelmayer at uni-konstanz.de
Wed Jun 21 03:30:51 EST 2000

Hi Elena,
The way you prepare the DNA might be a problem. Commercial (as well as
homemade) calf thymus DNA or E.coli DNA have very high molecular masses
and are quite difficult to get into solution. It is quite common that
stocks made from the same jar vary considerably. What we do is the
following: When we receive a new jar of DNA, we take out ALL the stuff,
weigh it, and put into a suitable amount of TE (to yield a 5mg/ml
solution approximately). The DNA is allowed to dissolve at 65C
overnight, and then sheared by sonication until viscosity of the
solution is low. Sometimes, depending on the DNA lot, a second heating
is necessary. After sonication, spin down undissolved junk (you should
no see a significant pellet) for 15min at 12.000g and check a small
aliquot on a agarose gel. Fragments should be between 200 and 2000bp,
with most in the 500bp region. If the fragments are ok, check the
concentration by spectrometry (should be consistent with the amount of
DNA used!), and make small aliquots for storage at -20C. We have never
observed differences between such aliquots, and the reproducibility
between individual preparations is negligible.

Frank