ppt'n of RNA from sucrose gradient--isopropanol or ethanol??

Mano mdep at musica.mcgill.ca
Fri Jun 23 19:52:09 EST 2000

Hi all,
    I am isolating RNA from sucrose gradients of polysome profiles.  I
pheno/chloroform extract twice, then 1 time with chloroform and then
precipitate with 0.85 volumes of isopropanol.  Recently, I used phenol
buffered with citrate at pH 4.3 and had poor recovery.  I went back to
water buffered-phenol and had recovery.  However, I think that using
isopropanol is not efficient enough.  Do you guys think that I should
precipitate using salt and 2.5 vol ethanol instead??  Thanks.

Mano