Transferrin structure

Emile Schiltz eschiltz at sun2.ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Mar 7 09:03:48 EST 2000

Wolfgang Schechinger (Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
: Hi all,

: could anyone please point me to a resource that might elucidate the
: structure of (human sero-) transferrin (TF)? I spent half the night
: hunting through databases but I couldn't find anything relevant
: despite AA sequence and iron binding sites. especially, I'm
: interested in how and where TF interacts with its receptor and how
: iron content might influcence that behavior.

: Thanks for your help.

: Wolfgang
: -----

Hi Wolfgang,
the N-terminal part of human serum transferrin seems to be elucidated by
x-ray:

MacGillivray, R. T., Moore, S. A., Chen, J., Anderson, B. F., Baker, H.,
Luo, Y., Bewley, M., Smith, C. A., Murphy, M. E., Wang, Y., Mason, A. B.,
Woodworth, R. C., Brayer, G. D., Baker, E. N.: Two high-resolution crystal
structures of the recombinant N-lobe of human transferrin
reveal a structural change implicated in iron release..
Biochemistry 37 pp. 7919 (1998)

from
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/cgi/explore.cgi?pid=27099952437258&page=0&pdbId=1A8E

Best wishes