delta-endotoxin of BT

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at
Wed Mar 8 04:54:55 EST 2000

In article <003201bf88dc$5a1261c0$8c01a8c0 at>, R. Jayakumar
<jakku at> writes
>The active toxin produced by Bacillus
>thuringiensis is called delta-endotoxin. What is the meaning of the greek
>alphabet "delta" and its significance for the toxin.

Delta usually means a deletion so is the delta-endotoxin you are using a
cut down portion of the main toxin. Alternatively someone already found
an alpha, beta and gamma endotoxin and yours was the fourth one!

I'll ask a friend who has worked for many many years with commercial
production of BT endotoxins.

sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.