fetal calf serum

Richard P. Grant rgrant at netscape.net
Thu Mar 9 12:17:02 EST 2000

In article <200003091701.SAA05948 at intwww.zit.med.uni-tuebingen.de>,
Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de ("Wolfgang Schechinger")
wrote:

> Another aspect is that it's probably easier to get serum from fetal
> calves than from newborn ones since fetal calves are to my knowledge
> a "by product" when pregnant cows are slaughtered in order to get
> access to their meat.

really?   I didn't think cows - pregnant or otherwise - were slaughtered
for meat (except post milk-productive ones).

Bulls, yes, cows, no.  I would guess that the high price of FCS reflects
that it's a primary product rather than a sideline.  But what do I know,
eh?  :)

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil
Structural Studies Group, MRC-LMB
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/index.html
Please reply to rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk