fetal calf serum

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Mar 9 13:03:00 EST 2000

Hello Richard!

I was told this story by a sales rep from a company I don't rember
exactly wich one after having asked him where the stuff came from.
Here in Germany, this probably wouldn't be possible (if it is legal
at all) since cows are homed in a stable and the farmer knows
about their sex life (because he has paid for an artificial
insemination). And he wouldn't dare to sacrifice a pregnant cow since
he is interested in the calf. When cows are kept in mixed herds (are
they?) this could be different.
Anyway, I thought that not only bulls and oxes are the source of
cattle meat (what's the fate of all these exhausted milk cows? Do
they all go into dog and cat food cans?)

Could somebody more familiar with this topic please contribute
her/his knowledge in order enlighten me and us? I'm really interested
in this topic. Is it possible that calves are especially
produced for generating FCS?

Wolfgang

> From:          "Richard P. Grant" <rgrant at netscape.net>
> Subject:       Re: fetal calf serum
> Date:          Thu, 09 Mar 2000 17:17:02 +0000
> To:            methods at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk

> In article <200003091701.SAA05948 at intwww.zit.med.uni-tuebingen.de>,
> Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de ("Wolfgang Schechinger")
> wrote:
>
> > Another aspect is that it's probably easier to get serum from
> > fetal calves than from newborn ones since fetal calves are to my
> > knowledge a "by product" when pregnant cows are slaughtered in
> > order to get access to their meat.
>
> really?   I didn't think cows - pregnant or otherwise - were
> slaughtered for meat (except post milk-productive ones).
>
> Bulls, yes, cows, no.  I would guess that the high price of FCS
> reflects that it's a primary product rather than a sideline.  But
> what do I know, eh?  :)

> --
> Richard P. Grant MA DPhil
> Structural Studies Group, MRC-LMB
> http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/index.html
> Please reply to rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
-----
This message is encrypted. Use your brain to decode it.
-----
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger, Dept. of Pathobiochemistry
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wolfgang.schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm
-----