fetal calf serum

Heidi Engelhardt engelhah at wright.aps.uoguelph.ca
Fri Mar 10 14:17:34 EST 2000

There isn't much I can add to Warren from Alberta's very
thorough answer ...

- major market for "retired" dairy cows = MacDonalds, etc

- I would agree that most if not all FCS comes from fetuses discovered at
  slaughter

- in addition to intentionally shipping pregnant animals (for economic
  reasons), it is pretty common (at least in my experience) for this to
  occur unintentionally:
- feedlot (beef) heifer gets in with bull without farmer's knowledge
  - maybe an escape incident, maybe with very young bull that
    wasn't thought to be capable yet
  - since breeding wasn't the object, animals wouldn't be closely
    observed for estrus behaviour (lack of -> pregnant)
- I have received cows culled (shipped for slaughter) due to
  "infertility" (failure to show estrus behaviour) and found that they
  were pregnant (bad record keeping on part of farmer but easy to
  imagine when dealing with hundreds of animals)
  (a cow can be seven months pregnant without showing externally)

- I second the idea that lack of immunoglobulins in fetus (versus
  newborn) serum a plus (no placental transfer of Igs in livestock
  species)

- over and above the fluctuations in beef prices, I would think that
  processing makes up a huge chunk of the cost of serum.  The more
  things it is tested for, the higher the cost.

Heidi
Dept Animal and Poultry Science
University of Guelph