it's all to do with wound healing.

P.M. Newton BMBPMN at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Mar 15 08:22:02 EST 2000

As far as i am aware the predominant mitogen in all sera is PDGF (Platelet
Derived Growth Factor). There are plenty of other things present which will
make cells proliferate (TGF-beta, Interleukins, IGF, FGF, EGF etc) but the
response to these is generally more dependent on the cell type and other
conditions, whereas PDGF is a general kick up the backside for most cells.

as far as i am aware no-one has conducted a definitive study into the
differences between serum types in terms of their growth factor
concentrations, but if there is one out there it would really really help me!!

another possible consideration is ECM molecules present in the serum, small
amounts of things like fibronectin are present in and they play an important
role in things like cell attachment, tho' i don't know if this is different
between serum types.

Phil.