Cleaning Pipetteman Shafts for PCR

Andre Hamel hamel at cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Mar 16 21:11:09 EST 2000

In <38D17330.C7D77A8C at cc.umanitoba.ca> Rob Kirkpatrick <kirkpat at cc.umanitoba.ca> writes:

The shafts of Gilson Pipetteman are resistant to just about ANYthing.
They appear to be made of something akin to teflon, are autoclavable and
nearly indestructable.
^^^^^^

I occassionally go as far as to soak a DRY shaft in chromic-sulfuric acid
(chromerge) for several hours. One MUST rinse in H2O VERY well afterward.

Also, these shafts are resistant to chloroform, phenol, most dyes, etc.
If stained by dyes, they can be easily washed by saoking in appropriate
solvents. ... The Gilson chemists obviously did their homework VERY well
while designing those pipettor shafts.

They're even resistant to hydrofluoric acid used by researchers working in
the petroleum industry [micropaleantologists] ... (Hi Una!). Not that I'm
overly biased nor do I own stocks, etc, but Eppendorf pipettors are not
nearly as resistant, even chloroform damages their shafts ... gumming
things up. Nor are they as easy to maintain and repair ON SITE. Pity, eh?

Andre