Sterilin Universals heat resistance

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Mar 17 05:45:49 EST 2000

Hi all,
I just did the the experiment and put a Nunc and a Greiner 50 ml tube
filled with 15 ml water each into the microwave and powered 750 watts
for 5 min. The water was boiling, but the tubes didn't melt. The got
a *little* bit softer, bat that what I'd expect at boilng water
temp. We also routinely clean these tubes in the dishwasherand
don't have any problem with that procedure.

Could anyone please perform the experiment with other brand's tubes?

BTW I noticed a kind of smell coming from the hot tubes. I noticed
the same smell occuring when storing e.g. water in these tubes for a
prolonged period. Is this monomer, softener or what? could it be
harmful to cells, DNA or whatwever?
Any ideas?

Wolfgang

-----
This message is encrypted. Use your brain to decode it.
-----
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger, Dept. of Pathobiochemistry
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wolfgang.schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm
-----