Getting DMSO out of parafin wax?

Michael Prigge prigge at biology.lsa.umich.edu
Sat Mar 18 13:39:51 EST 2000

I was going to do some hot-start PCR with parafin. (I.e., having the Taq
separated from the oligos and DNA by wax that melts during the first
denaturation step.)  Well, I realized that this lab has cases of Paraplast
Plus parafin containing an unspecified amount of DMSO, but no DMSO-free
parafin.  If I extract the wax a couple times with water, would that get
rid of enough of the DMSO that I won't have to alter my PCR conditions?

Michael J. Prigge           phone: (734) 647-4153
Department of Biology         fax: (734) 647-0884
University of Michigan
830 North University
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1048