Extraction of plasmid DNA from yeast

Chris LaRosa clarosa at biocomp.unl.edu
Mon Mar 20 13:12:10 EST 2000

Ashok Aiyar wrote:

> We extract plasmid DNA from yeast by vortexing in the presence
> of acid-washed glass beads, Triton X-100, SDS, and phenol-chloroform.
>
> This method has never worked particularly well for me, and we are
> close to running out a batch of acid-washed beads that was gifted to
> me several years ago.

I found that you can break glass disposable test tubes in a mortar and
pestle,   grind to you think there is a fair fraction of glass the size
of
the beads, and then acid wash the bits.   I actually think that you dont
need to acid wash, if you have that phenol, etc in there.   The broken
glass bits also are helpful if your extracting protein from bacteria
with a sonicator.,  The glass and sonication is much better at
extraction than sonication alone.