cu++ in nuclei isolation

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Wed Mar 22 10:43:49 EST 2000

At 10:30 AM 3/22/00 +0100, Frank O. Fackelmayer wrote:
>"Hiranya S. Roychowdhury" wrote:
>
>> This is a general question of interest:
>>
>> Usually, the nuclei are incubated w/ 1mM CuSO4 during the high salt prep of
>> nucleiWhat is the function of Cu++ in the preparation of nuclear halos?
>>
>> Thankyou,
>> Hiranya.
>>
>> Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
>> GENE LAB/ EPPWS
>> New Mexico State University
>> Las Cruces, NM 88003
>> Ph. (505) 646-5785
>> hroychow at nmsu.edu
>>
>> ---
>
>Cu++ is used to "stabilize" the "nuclear matrix". In molecular terms, the
>action of copper is not well understood but could be oxidative crosslinking of
>thiols to disulfides. There are quite some papers on that subject that discuss
>the effect of copper on the overall structure of the nuclear matrix and the
>localization of particular proteins. See, eg. Neri et al. (1997), Chromosoma,
>106:81-93 for a discussion and further references.
>
>Frank

Thank you, Frank, for your prompt response. I understood that Cu++
stabilizes the matrix (some applications use Mg++ instead of Cu++), but I
wanted to know more about the chemistry (the physico-chemical basis, I mean)
behind it. I did come across Neri's paper but have not had the time to look
up all the back references yet. You are possibly right in indicating Cu++
-crosslinking betweeen the proteins. Other OH groups may also be involved in
such intertactions; don't you think? I am not aware of similar interactions
involving Mg++, though. So, I wonder about it replacing Cu++ in some studies.

hroychow at nmsu.edu

---