proteinase K

Portbury, Andrea Chikaraishi Lab andreap at neuro.duke.edu
Wed Mar 22 14:31:01 EST 2000

Hi,
has anyone ever heard of having proteinase K activity problems after it has
been stored in glycerol? We always used to store our stocks in either
buffer or water, but this last time used glycerol. Since then, we have not
been able to spool DNA purified from mouse tail cuts (i.e. to see the DNA
we have to spin for 5 minutes) and our PCRs have not been working well.
When we went back and used some old stuff that was prepared in water,
everything was fine. The proteinase K in the glycerol appears to chew up
everything o.k. - we get total disintergration of our tissue, but the DNA
just seems to be either really dilute or not there at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrea Portbury