What's chromic-sulfuric acid?

John Dixon jpcd100 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 27 10:35:08 EST 2000

> -The shafts of Gilson Pipetteman are resistant to just about ANYthing.
> -They appear to be made of something akin to teflon, are autoclavable and
> -nearly indestructable.
> -I occassionally go as far as to soak a DRY shaft in chromic-sulfuric acid
> -(chromerge) for several hours. One MUST rinse in H2O VERY well afterward.
>
> The use of chromic-sulfuric acid is frowned upon, it is on the
> list of chemicals you should definedly NOT use ! Dangerous stuff !

Hi, I have just discovered that a container labelled "ACID" in a fume
hood we have inherited, in fact contains 3 litres of chromic-sulphuric
acid. I remembered a mention of it in this thread, and wondered if
anyone could enlighten me on just how dangerous it is, and in what
particular ways (other than corrosive, obviously!).

I couldn't find any info by searching for chemical safety sites on the
web so any good links for that would be useful too.

Thanks

JD

--
John Dixon                    Lab 44 (1223) 334131
Wellcome/CRC Institute        Fax 44 (1223) 334089
United Kingdom CB2 1QR       e-m: jpcd100 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk