A special lot of DEPC

Susanne Rohrer srohrer at immv.unizh.ch
Mon Mar 27 11:02:41 EST 2000

Jan-Henner Wurmbach wrote:

> At our Lab arrived today a very special Lot of DEPC (Dietylpyrocarbonate).
> It had become warm over the Weekend and the bottle was under pressure.

Although it is usually packed under protective atmosphere, DEPC degrades in
the presence of moisture (or on its own?) into EtOH and CO2. Maybe the RT
incubation over the weekend accelerated the process. It's what happens when
you autoclave it. as someone noted in the recent MOPS thread, you autoclave
it to inactivate the DEPC that has not reacted with protein etc. The only
concern you may have is from the spill. I think DEPC is pretty unhealthy. But
it should still be OK for use.

Susanne