cDNA libraries

Susanne Rohrer srohrer at immv.unizh.ch
Mon Mar 27 11:17:25 EST 2000

Sara wrote:

> I wanted to make a gram negative bacterial cDNA library but have read that
> bacterial mRNAs are unstable and it is therefore preferable to make genomic
> libraries. Has anybody made bacterial cDNA libraries ??

In my opinion it is preferable because the bacterial genome is so small, and
the problem with mRNAs is, of course, the lack of a (decent) poly A Tail, so
you can't separate the rRNA. About 70 % of your clones would be rRNA. The mRNA
is not THAT unstable, else we wouldn't be able to do Northern blots (it's a
pain in the a*&ç though, but probably also for eukaryote people). May I ask
what you want to do it for?

Susanne