What's chromic-sulfuric acid?

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Mon Mar 27 12:23:03 EST 2000

It is generally refered to as "chromic acid". Prepared by dissolving
pot.dichromate in conc. H2SO4.
Use: Glass pipette washing by soaking the pipettes in it for a day or two.
Danger: extreme if accidentally swallowed or sprinkled onto oneself.
Inexperience in mixing solution of the chromate and conc. H2SO4 is another
potential hazard.

Have not used that in a long time!

Sigma or some other companies came up with an alternative quite a while back
and most campus safety offices insisted that the chromate bath bew phased
out completely.

At 04:35 PM 3/27/00 +0100, John Dixon wrote:

>Hi, I have just discovered that a container labelled "ACID" in a fume
>hood we have inherited, in fact contains 3 litres of chromic-sulphuric
>acid. I remembered a mention of it in this thread, and wondered if
>anyone could enlighten me on just how dangerous it is, and in what
>particular ways (other than corrosive, obviously!).
>
>I couldn't find any info by searching for chemical safety sites on the
>web so any good links for that would be useful too.
>
>Thanks
>
>JD
>
>--
>John Dixon                    Lab 44 (1223) 334131
>Wellcome/CRC Institute        Fax 44 (1223) 334089
>Cambridge University
>United Kingdom CB2 1QR       e-m: jpcd100 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
GENE LAB/ EPPWS