strange cloning result

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at
Mon Mar 27 16:51:45 EST 2000

Hi all,

recently, I performed a simple cloning experiment (sticky
HindIII-XbaI insert into pCDNA3).
As directed in the textbooks, I had an control ligation without the
insert. This control gave me about 300 colonies as "background". The
sample containing the insert yielded 100 colonies only of which I
prepped 24. Finally 15 (60%) contained the insert though I didn't
expect to get any positive. Is there any reasonable explanation for
this except statistics? Was it an insert overdose killing most bugs
due to too long insert concatenations? (Concentrations were estimated
on gel, insert to host ratio was 5)

This message is encrypted. Use your brain to decode it.
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger, Dept. of Pathobiochemistry
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wolfgang.schechinger at
usual disclaimers apply