strange cloning result

Chris LaRosa clarosa at biocomp.unl.edu
Mon Mar 27 17:28:38 EST 2000

 Finally 15 (60%) contained the insert though I didn't
> expect to get any positive. Is there any reasonable explanation for
> this except statistics?

Statistics are not really relevent here.   I dont think we can make any
good guesses on why it worked, because the slop in the these kind of
experiments tends to be relatively huge (10 fold).   Your self ligation
control can merely suggest that your self ligations or not cut plasmid
was
low enough so as not to interfere with selection of colonies with
inserts.

This kind of result is not that unusual.   15 out of 24 looks damn good
to me.