What's chromic-sulfuric acid?

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Mar 28 04:44:20 EST 2000

This actually is a fine method I often used in my orgo lab course.
But keep in mind that in this mixture contains superacids and
peroxides which will form other peroxides when you add organic
materials. Some of those might tend to violent explosions. Don't
stock used solutions; prepare them always fresh when you need them
and take appropriate safety precautions.

When you need to remove cell debris and similar stuff, this is
probably directing atom guns to mocking birds, however (is there an
english expression for the german "shooting with cannons on
sparrows"?). Alkaline hypochlorit (as used in lab dishwashers) or
potassium hydroxide and isopropanol would be the better choice.

Wolfgang

> From:          rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk (Robert Hartley)
> Subject:       Re: What's chromic-sulfuric acid?
> Date:          Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:33:47 +0100
> To:            methods at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk

> In article <38DF95FD.7C2548F1 at biocomp.unl.edu>, Chris LaRosa
> <clarosa at biocomp.unl.edu> wrote:
>
> > > Hi, I have just discovered that a container labelled "ACID" in a
> > > fume hood we have inherited, in fact contains 3 litres of
> > > chromic-sulphuric acid. I remembered a mention of it in this
> > > thread, and wondered if anyone could enlighten me on just how
> > > dangerous it is, and in what particular ways (other than
> > > corrosive, obviously!).
> > >
> > Other wise know as Chromerge.    I think sigma or fisher sells
> > chromic acid to ad to sulfuring acid .. very oxidizing and
> > disolving.   We use it to acid wash glassware....very corrosive.
>
> If you dont want the hastle of waste disposal you can use variations
> on Caro's acid. 3parts 98%H2SO4 and 1 part 30% H2O2 this cleans
> glassware nicely. A wee tip is to trypsinise the cells/debris off
> first. Or you could use plasma cleaning.
>
> cheers
> Bob just away to clean some quartz with the above. :)
>
> --
> Robert Hartley,
> Centre for Cell Engineering,University of Glasgow,UK.
> mail: rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk, Tel: ++44 (0)141 330 4756
> Web : http://www.gla.ac.uk/Inter/CellEngineering
-----
This message is encrypted. Use your brain to decode it.
-----
Dr. Wolfgang Schechinger, Dept. of Pathobiochemistry
University of Tuebingen, Germany
email: wolfgang.schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
wwWait: http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/start.htm
-----