bacterial RNA isolation

ed_taboada at my-deja.com ed_taboada at my-deja.com
Tue Mar 28 13:51:17 EST 2000

Hi folks,

we're about to do some transcription profiling using microarray hybs
and I have been hardpressed to find "home made" bacterial RNA isolation
protocols out there. We're probably going to settle with trizol or
quiagen columns, but I we have a couple of specific concerns. One is
with respect to yields...we will have relatively small sample sizes (ie.
in the 10^5 to 10^6 cfu range) and I don't know how much total RNA I
should be expecting to obtain. The other concern is with regards to RNA
stability. Conventional wisdom (or folklore, or both) says that
bacterial RNAs are rather short lived and turnover is fast...how is this
likely to affect our detection of low abundance transcripts ?  should we
be worrying about this at all ?

thanks in advance,

Ed

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/