EDTA-Magnesium relationship

Robert Hartley rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Fri Mar 31 08:57:03 EST 2000

In article <38E45C4D.1E7BAE99 at unav.es>, jjmirujo at unav.es (" J.
Martinez-Irujo") wrote:

OK I may be talking complete nonsense here BUT :-)

think about it:- the ED-tetra-acetic-acid has 4x 0minus on the end and no
direct ionic bond. Therefore WRT divalent cations; it cant be 2 and it
cant be more, therefore it must be one or none, but it cant be none so it
must be one. :-)))))

I must get out more.
> Only one. I remember that Merck catalog had a picture showing how EDTA binds
> divalent cations.(Sorry, no catalog at hand).
>
> Michael Allen wrote:
>
> > Hello Bionetters
> >
> > I was wondering if any of you could tell me how many divalent cations
> > (Mg2+ specifically) a single EDTA (ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid)
> > molecule can bind at one time.
now this is the tricky bit. you have to compare the preferential
relationship between Mg2+ and Ca2+ and decide which percentage of EDTA
will have Mg bound and Ca bound. Then you must consider the concentrations
of Mg and Ca in the system and then do a calculation.

> > I have searched high and low for this, but could not find a good answer.
> >
> > Thanks in advance

cheers
bob

--
Robert Hartley,
Centre for Cell Engineering,University of Glasgow,UK.