Blood storage for later DNA extraction

Tim Jackson tim.jackson at nrc.ca
Fri May 5 08:48:06 EST 2000

i used to work in a forensics lab.  we used to preserve liquid blood samples by
applying it to a sqare of thick filter paper and drying it.  we would apply
enough so that the stain was soaked through.  once dried the samples were good
for a very long time stored any way you like: room temp, refridgerated, and
frozen.  most of ours were kept in the case file in a small evelope in a
ziplock bag.  years later you still get gobs of DNA from a 4mm2 cut-out.  it
doesn't get any easier!

Tim Jackson
Institute for Marine Biosciences - NRC
Halifax, Nova Scotia