b-gal assays from LB cultures?

Arnoud van Vliet avvliet at knoware.nl
Mon May 15 03:03:43 EST 2000

Hi Don,

I do B-gal measurements with other bacteria, and I wash them with PBS and
resuspend in PBS before the measurement. I also dissolve the ONPG in PBS. I
have actually started to very mildly sonicate the bacteria before the
measurement, instead of the chloroform, which works fine as well.

hope this helps
Arnoud

Don Walthers <gene_jockey26 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8fnf0s$ip8$1 at kestrel.csrv.uidaho.edu...
> Are there any drawbacks to performing b-gal assays as described in
Maniatis